Translate

Sunday, January 1, 2023

Pets Do Grieve

 

 

  “My mother’s dog came to live with us after my mother passed away. The dog just lies around; his eyes are vacant like he checked-out; he won’t eat and doesn’t interact with us, not even for snuggles.

“I don’t get it. He’s known us for his whole life. What’s wrong with him? And what can I do to help?”

Pets Do Grieve

It doesn’t matter if it’s a dog, cat, bird, rodent, reptile, fish, horse, etc. They are part of the family and will grieve the loss of someone in their family – whether the loss is due to death of a family member, or the animal has been abandoned.

Your mom’s dog has been with her companion (your mom) for most if not all of his life. The dog is grieving. He lost not only his human companion and his pack, but he also lost his home. He’s grieving and depressed.

You can address this with your veterinarian who may prescribe a short term anti-depressant for the pet.

Acknowledging you and the pet’s grief can help you both.

If it were me, I’d invite the memory or essence of...Read More

by Jan Toomer



No comments: