Translate

Sunday, December 12, 2021

Endings & Beginnings

 

 


 Last week we took a brief look at T.S. Eliot’s No. 1 Quartet of his “Four Quartets” and his poetic thoughts on linear time.

This week I’d like to take short snippets from his 2nd Quartet (East Coker) and his 4th Quartet (Little Gidding). Please keep in mind that I am sharing my interpretations and that I’m barely scratching the surface of Eliot’s writings. It’s my hope that you might explore, and interpret these, on your own; see where they take you.

Eliot began East Coker with:  “In my beginning is my end” and he closed the poem with, “In my end is my beginning.”

In his 4th Quartet, he wrote:
“What we call the beginning is often the end
And to make an end is to make a beginning.
The end is where we start from.”

Pretty cool, right? On planet Earth, we can find...Read More

 by Jan Toomer

No comments: