Translate

Sunday, July 12, 2020

It's All Under Control



There’s a long stretch of dirt road that transitions, for me, leaving the city behind and arriving home. I was on that stretch headed home.

I get to see a lot of interesting things on my drive: sometimes an Oryx can be seen; cows crossing; the spastic movements of different types of quail as they try to decide if they should run across the road or not…yes...uh, no…yep…definitely not. Argh.

This time I noticed a pickup truck driving towards me (headed to town). Now, out where I live, we become pretty familiar with the regular’s vehicles. This wasn’t one of them.

This truck was moving slowly and had it’s hazard lights flashing.

I moved further over my side of the road and slowed. “Do they need help?” I asked…well, no one. I was alone in my truck.

As they neared, I saw the driver and one passenger.

Closer still, then I could see in their vehicle. The young driver had a death grip on the steering wheel, his face pale but determined and his back ram rod straight.

I smiled. Then looked at the passenger side. What a contrast!...Read More

by Jan Toomer





No comments: