Translate

Sunday, July 10, 2022

Becoming Feral - Part One

 

 


 

 This is going to be a bit long – but bear with me. I don’t normally share this much, but I hope you feel its was worth it at the end.

* * *

We lived in a self-contained Complex with nothing but trees and mountains around us.

When you walked into my dorm-like room, you would find a small bathroom tucked in on the left. Next to it was my wardrobe and then came a double sized bed. The bed could be latched up against the wall, like a Murphy bed, to make more space. To get from the door to the bed, you walked along the pathway on the right wall.

Not all of the rooms in the Complex were this small, just those for single people. The rooms varied depending on how many people were in the family. More people, bigger living quarters.

We had a large cafeteria that we all used – eating in shifts.

Every adult had a job, and most of the jobs revolved around the maintenance and upkeep of the Complex.

I wasn’t happy, but I wasn’t unhappy either. I felt kind of stale and a bit agitated.

I left my room and headed for the auditorium to find a seat. It was time for our weekly gathering and community updates. I found a seat at the top level, which made it easier to escape when the gathering was done.

The auditorium filled up pretty quickly, and our Commissioner quieted the crowd and began his weekly droning... Read More

by Jan Toomer



No comments: